Click here for more.

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Arif hoping for change of fortunes in Thailand

Mohd Arif Abdul Latif and China’s Chen Long have experienced contrasting fortunes after their first encounter in the Asian junior championships in 2007.
While Chen Long has gone on to win Super Series titles and is currently ranked fourth in the world, the Malaysian is still struggling to get far in a Grand Prix Gold tournament.
But the world No. 98 hopes that his fortune will change, starting with the Thailand GP Gold, which will be held in Bangkok from June 7-12.
No there yet: Mohd Arif Abdul Latif is stil strugling to get far in a Grand Prix Gold tournament.
“I lost (21-18, 18-21, 20-22) to Chen Long in the final of the Asian Juniors and I remember giving him a tough fight. It was my best achievement in the championships,” said Arif.
“I have been left behind since then, mostly because of my own mistakes. However, I have made a lot of improvement since coming under the charge of Hendrawan. I am physically stronger and I am able to show better strategy in my game.”
Arif is currently the top ranked shuttler in the national back-up squad.
In fact, over the last one year, he has beaten four elite shuttlers – Tan Chun Seang, Chong Wei Feng, Liew Daren and Chan Kwong Beng – in local tournaments.
“Chen Long will be at the Thailand GP Gold as the top seed. It will be great if I can achieve a good result there. Ultimately, I hope to win at least one GP Gold title by end of the year,” he said.
Arif is in the same quarter as Chen Long together with three other Malaysians – Daren, Goh Soon Huat and Wei Feng.
He has a tricky first-round match against England’s Rajiv Ouseph, who has shown the ability to make life difficult for top players on his good day.
China have a relatively strong line-up for the men’s singles. Also in the fray are world champion Chen Jin, Wang Zhengming, Lu Yi and Wen Kai.
Indonesia and Japan have listed all their back-up shuttlers. South Korea will be banking on Park Sung-hwan, Lee Hyun-il and Shon Wan-ho while Thailand have second seed Boonsak Ponsana as their top contender for the title.

No comments:

Post a Comment