Click here for more.

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Chong Wei vows to keep on winning

Lee Chong Wei vowed to give hold on to his world No. 1 ranking until the Olympics next year after winning his third straight YONEX SUNRISE Malaysia Open Grand Prix Gold crown and fifth title of the year.
The Malaysian, who entered Sunday’s final with victories in the VICTOR BWF Super Series Finals 2010 in Taiwan and PROTON Malaysia Open (January), YONEX All England Open Superseries Premier (March) and YONEX SUNRISE India Open Superseries last week. He was also runners-up at the VICTOR Korea Open four months ago.
Playing in front of Sultan Abdul Halim himself, Chong Wei continued his domination of Bao Chunlai, who he has now beaten 12 times in 16 meetings with his last loss coming in 2007. Chong Wei won 21-9, 21-19 to take home US$9,000 while Bao Chunlai walked away with US$4,560.
“I’m happy to have continued my winning streak this year. I want to maintain my No. 1 ranking until next year’s Olympics as it will be my last attempt to win the gold,” said Chong Wei, who had announced his intention to quit the sport after the London Games.
“I now go into every tournament feeling I can win them and I think that is a good mentality to have with the World Championships coming up in August.
“I have received some criticisms in the past regarding my failure to perform in the major tournaments and I have taken them on board. That is why it is good to continue winning as it gives me more confidence.”
The Malaysian, who was facing the wind in the first game of the final, attacked relentlessly as a bewildered Bao Chunlai had no answer to his shots.
Backed by the capacity crowd, Chong Wei rained in winners from all over the court to take the first game 21-9. It was a different story in the second as Chong Wei slowed the game down after making several errors, sending the shuttlecock long as he had trouble adjusting to the wind behind him.
He looked in trouble as Bao Chunlai took a 19-17 lead but Chong Wei dug deep to take the last four points.

No comments:

Post a Comment