Click here for more.

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Mentally frail Saina loses to Wang Xin

Saina Nehwal admitted on Sunday she needs to be mentally stronger if she is to consistently beat the top Chinese players after falling to Wang Xin in the final of the YONEX SUNRISE Malaysia Open Grand Prix Gold. It was Wang Xin's first win of the year and she dedicated it to her mother.
Saina and Wang Xin have been swapping places in the world ranking with the Chinese player now ranked one rung higher at No. 3.
After crumbling to a devastating 13-21, 21-8, 21-14 loss, Saina said: “I made too many mistakes in the match, especially in the second game. I was bothered by two line calls in the third game and paid the ultimate price. I should have kept my cool and it is a good lesson for me.”
A fiery Saina who, missed the PROTON Malaysia Open Superseries in January because of an ankle injury, took the opening game with a mixture of drops and well placed winners.
The second game was completely different as Wang Xin, who had won her previous two Open tournament matches against Saina, upped the pace to move her opponent all round the court.
Her speed and decisive smashes saw her take it 21-8 when Saina took it easy after losing seven points in a row from 8-9 to fall behind 8-16.
Hoping to capitalise on her “rest period” Saina began the decider more aggressively but Wang Xin kept up her momentum to close out the 48-minute match.
“This is the third time I’m losing to her but I thought I could beat here as I'm physically alright. My ankle is not a problem as it is taped up and I won’t use that as an excuse.
“In the second game, I was trailing 8-9 when she won seven points in a row, I took it easy as I wanted to take a breather and catch her in the decider but it nearly worked. 
“We were level at 14-14 when I sent two crosscourt shots into the net. From there Wang Xin took advantage to run away with the title.”
Wang Xin made up for losing the 2009 final by adding this year’s title to the PROTON Malaysia Open Superseries crown she won in 2010. Wang Xin took home US$9,480 while. Saina pocketed US$4,560.
The winner said: "This is my first in win of the year and I would like to dedicate it to my mother."

No comments:

Post a Comment