Click here for more.

Friday, January 21, 2011

Chen Jin: Defeat just a hiccup

World champion Chen Jin said he is not worried about his form despite losing in the second round of the PROTON Malaysia Open Superseries – the opening leg of the 2011 OSIM BWF World Superseries – on Thursday.
The Chinese ace, who defeated Indonesia’s Taufik Hidayat in Paris five months ago to claim his maiden world title, struggled in his opening match against Denmark’s Hans-Kristian Vittinghus, before winning 21-23, 21-16, 21-17 on Wednesday.
Twenty four hours later, he was once again pushed to the limits by a resurgent Simon Santoso of Indonesia and this time there was no escape as the reigning SEA Games champion turned on the style to register a 21-12, 18-21, 21-10 victory in 73 minutes.
“I’m still not at my best as the injuries have taken their toll on me. I need a little more time to be at my best,” said the world No. 4. “I’m not too disappointed by my defeat as I gave it my all.
“I’m sure I will perform better once I have had time to train more. I will travel to South Korea next and I hope to do better there. Simon played very well today and he deserved the victory.”
Meanwhile, Santoso said he hopes Thursday’s victory will reignite his career which has been plagued by injuries. 
The former world No. 3 was out of the game for three months due to a back injury and is now ranked No. 27 in the world.
Soon he will train under a new coach, China’s Li Mao, who was recruited by the Indonesian Badminton Association recently to take charge of their men’s singles squad.
In fact these are challenging times ahead for Santoso as he looks to resurrect a career which had looked so promising but yet never really took off.
“I am still optimistic that I will make good in my badminton career. The painful three months which forced me out of the game because of the back injury is over. I must stay positive and I know what is expected of me from the Indonesian BA,” said the 2009 Denmark Open winner.
 “Taufik Hidayat is the still the No 1 in Indonesia but he is at the tailend of his international career and Sony Dwi Kuncoro has been suffering from injuries lately. That leaves me with the burden of carrying Indonesia's challenge.
“But I am ready for the challenges ahead.”

 courtesy of BWF

No comments:

Post a Comment