Click here for more.

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Rasmussen takes heart from defeat

Jonas Rasmussen wore a big smile after the PROTON Malaysia Open Superseries men’s doubles final even though he and Mads Conrads-Petersen failed to create history by becoming the first Danish pair to triumph in Kuala Lumpur.
Chai Biao-Guo Zhengdong  jumping smash finalThe new pairing, who have only been together since August, put up a great fight against China’s Chai Biao-Guo Zhengdong but lacked the killer touch at the net and fell 21-16, 21-14 in the first tournament of the new OSIM BWF World Superseries calendar.
He, however, is confident they can upset their higher ranked opponents when they meet in the first round of the VICTOR Korea Open on Wednesday.
“We can take heart from our defeat and I’m confident we can beat them in Korea,” said a supremely confident Rasmussen, who was a world champion with Lars Passke in 2003.
“We tried our best but unfortunately, we couldn’t find a way past them today. There were some great rallies today and I think we gave the crowd a good show. We will go home and analyse the match and I’m pretty sure we can beat them on Wednesday.”
Asked about his partner, who is 10 years younger, Rasmussen said: “I think he can go far in the sport. It was not an easy decision for him to leave his hometown (Aarhus) and move to Copenhagen but I think he has shown tremendous improvement in his game.
“I believe we have a good partnership and I hope we can go on for a few more years. I’m still a young man!”
Conrads-Petersen said: “This was our first Superseries final and I enjoyed every minute of it, apart from the fact we lost. I was really fired up as I wanted to win here as the crowd support for us has been fantastic.
“Despite our defeat, we can take a lot of positives and we will be back next year and hopefully, we will go one step better and win the title.”Meanwhile, Chai Biao said he hopes Sunday’s victory will ensure the pair stay together until at least after next year’s Olympics.
“We are a new partnership but I feel very comfortable with Guo Zhengdong. I hope our association will allow us to stay together until after the London Games as I believe we can go far,” he said. 
The fifth seeds took home US$31,600 for their victory while the Danish pair walked away with US$15,200.
Result
Doubles: Chai Biao-Guo Zhengdong (China) bt Jonas Rasmussen-Mads Conrads-Petersen (Denmark) 21-16, 21-14.

courtesy of BWF

No comments:

Post a Comment