Click here for more.

Friday, January 21, 2011

Zwiebler’s bittersweet victory

There wasn’t the usual fist pumping or the cry of joy even after he scored a famous victory over former world No. 2 Wong Choong Hann of Malaysia in the PROTON Malaysia Open Super Series Badminton championship at the Putra Stadium in Kuala Lumpur.
In fact Marc Zwiebler of Germany retreated to a corner wiped himself dry and walked off the court to face the television cameras and the waiting press as the Malaysian crowd were still digesting the defeat of Choong Hann in his opening round match.
Choong Hann, a former world championship finalist and ranked No 2 in the world at the height of his career, was beaten in three games – 21-15, 15-21, 21-18 – by a player who has described him as a dear friend and someone who has given his career a boost.
“How can I celebrate when Choong Hann has helped me so much in my badminton career? We are good friends and we play each other in the German League. But I will never forget the one occasion when he came to talk to me after my opening round defeat in the Dutch Open in 2009.
“I was so shattered that I even thought I should give up badminton altogether. But Choong Hann said ‘No’ and advised me to fight hard to rescue my career. I made it to the final of the Denmark Open the next week. I owe it to Choong Hann," said Zwieblerwho is based in the former German capital of Bonn.
But it was clear that Choong Hann is near the end of an illustrious career which has seen him taking part in the 2004 Athens and 2008 Beijing Olympics and at the age of 35, retirement is just around the corner.
“I wish I was like him. Choong Hann is such a talented player and he has given so much to the game. I take his advice seriously and if only I can be as good as him. I am 26 now and have a few years more to reach the top.
“But whatever happens next I am fortunate to have met, played against Choong Hann and have him as a friend,” said Zwiebler.

courtesy of BWF

No comments:

Post a Comment