Click here for more.

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Wang Xin out to end jinx

World No. 1 Wang Xin has the chance to put to bed the perception she can’t beat her team mates in major tournaments when she plays in the PROTON Malaysia Open Superseries semi-final on Friday.
Wang Xin has a less than stellar record against Chinese opponents but said it is not as bad as some people thing it is. As such, she hopes to prove her detractors wrong by retaining the PROTON Malaysia Open, the year’s first Superseries tournament in the 2011 OSIM BWF World Superseries calendar.
“I admit I don’t have a great record against my top team mates but the results are not as bad as some of the people have made it out to be,” said Wang Xin, who beat Germany’s Juliane Schenk 21-17, 22-20 in Thursday’s quarter-finals.
“I know I may have to beat two of my team mates (Wang Yihan and Jiang Yanjiao or Wang Shixian) in order to win this tournament and I will try to do us and hopefully this myth will be put to bed.
“Perhaps my good record against non-Chinese players has also clouded my achievements against my team mates.”
Schenk, who is among the handful of European female players who can take on the mighty Chinese conceded she needs help to make the step up.
“The Chinese have the benefit of sparring with top ranked players day in day out which contributed to their competitiveness and sharpness. I wish I have that kind of luxury back in Germany.

”But the Europeans are learning fast. We know what we are lacking and part of the solution is to train with the men.

”Maybe sparring with them will help improve our game because we do not have the quality women players in Europe to train with,” said Schenk who is ranked No 8 in the world, the second highest ranked European after Denmark's Tine Rasmussen who is ranked No 5.

“The World Championship in England is my target this year. I hope to do well there and make a name for myself.”
Meanwhile, Wang Yihan, Wang Shixian and Jiang Yanjiao made it a clean sweep for China when they reached the semi-finals as well.
Second seed Wang Shixian was given a scare by Chinese Taipei’s Cheng Shao Chieh before prevailing 19-21, 21-17, 21-9. Wang Yihan had it easy when she demolish Indonesia’s Lindaweni Fanetri 21-9, 21-19 while Jiang Yanjiao had a free ride when team mate Liu Xin conceded a walkover after suffering a toe injury.

courty of BWF

No comments:

Post a Comment